Diponegoro University Summer Course Program provides a beneficial impact and good opportunity to connect with and play an important role in academic purposes to students around the world. The program offers ±2 weeks academic programs towards international student. These courses may enrich their knowledge of varieties environments and research center in Diponegoro University. We proudly announce our summer course program:
Tropical Course on Culture and Sustainable Development in Coastal Region 2018
Introduction to the program
Indonesia is the largest archipelagic country. It has about 13,466 big and small islands, 95,181 km of coastline, sea area about 5.8 million km square (75% total area). Coastal region is a unique area where the land and sea ecosystem interact. It is an area of rapid transition from terrestrial to marine influences. Tides and surf entering freshwater streams and shallow waters make this environment one of constantly fluctuating conditions, and many organisms live at the extremes of their range of tolerance. This ecosystem also has the highest biological diversity of any part of the sea. The importance coastal area is most of the earth population and human civilization progress are located in this area.
Therefore, Diponegoro University as an Indonesian state university with main focus in eco-coastal development conducts a special summer course program on “Tropical Course on Culture and Sustainable Development in Coastal Region”. The course offers in Semarang and Karimunjawa island, Central Java, Indonesia on August and the year 2018, the program is started from August 01–09, 2018.
The third program – New offer: Credit Earning (3 credit)
This 2018 event is the fourth tropical course held by International Office Diponegoro University. The information about previous tropical course are available here: information for previous and call for participants. Now, we offer the special scheme for credit earning system and Diponegoro University may provide the credit for this event: 3 credits. The full program in- and out-class may also be downloaded in the link of “rundown program 2018” below.
In class activity
The discussion and interactive learning system will be conducted in the class. The expertise from lecturer will be provided and we offer the lecturer from foreign country: Malaysia, Japan, Thailand, and Taiwan. They provide the lesson in cheerful, fun, and easy, so it can be adopted smoothly by all participants
Out class activity
Semarang city comprises two the regions: hill and down town. All participants will be allowed to involve in the out class program to see the unity and the unique of Semarang city in both regions. Since the program is focused in the tropical area, participants will spend three days in the paradise island of Karimunjawa and they will receive the lesson in and out class. The location in the beach will be also offered to study about the surroundings.
Three experts lecturer will always provide the guidance to all participants, so no worry to do fun activities in the beach such as : snorkeling, coastal cleaning, swimming, and sun bathing.
The lectures during program
The course offers 25 lectures and both will be offered in and out of the class. The program is listed below:
- Lecture 1: Small to medium enterprises development in tropical area
- Lecture 2: Tropical coastal region: Livelihood in three coastal areas (North Coastal Area in Central Java)
- Lecture 3: Diseases in Tropical Coastal Region
- Lecture 4: Local Flora and Fauna in Karimunjawa Island
- Lecture 5: Tracking Mangrove
- Lecture 6: Photography in Love Hill (Sunset View)
- Lecture 7: Field activities with local entrepreneur and legal awareness
- Lecture 8: Coastal clean up and recycle system studies
- Lecture 9: Coral study in Cemara Besar Island
- Lecture 10: Coral study and snorkeling (Menjangan Kecil Island)
- Lecture 11: Javanese traditional dance practices
- Lecture 12: Field activities and environmental studies in coastal area
- Lecture 13: Local Traditional Market Orientation
- Lecture 14: Traditional Fisheries Processing Product Technology in Indonesia
- Lecture 15: Tropical Food Industry and Green Technology
- Lecture 16: Tropical Food Perspective in Most Tropical Area Consumers
- Lecture 17: Sustainable development: General principles
- Lecture 18: Eco-tourism and Development in Traditional Food
- Lecture 19: Student presentation (topic: politics-culture in Karimunjawa)
- Lecture 20: Problem identification and region improvement (based on sustainable and local wisdom principles)
- Lecture 21: Recognition evaluation activities and action plan
- Lecture 22: Student activities : livelihood Karimunjawa island area, Post test
- Lecture 23: Study about Angklung
- Lecture 24: Landmark Study in Semarang City
- Lecture 25: Student activities (Sugar cube and mind understanding)
Leaflet program, application form, and related documents
- The leaflet is available here: Leaflet ecotourism coastal development tropical course 2018
- The application form can be downloaded here: Tropical Course 2018-APLICATION FORM
- Rundown tropical course 2018 can be seen here: Rundown program 2018
How to register this course?
Please submit the complete application form through email to :
Please feel free to contact us using email or online form at the end of this page. The official announcement of participants will be published at July 10, 2018.
Please click the link below to see tropical course blog.
Diponegoro University offers other limited programs such as:
Course on Magnificent Javanese Culture
International Office Diponegoro University proudly presents the one week course for international and national students to come and getting close to the old fashioned Javanese heritage on July each year. The course will be conducted at field that is located relatively close to Borobudur temple. Participants will experience sight-seeing closely and get involve to the inside of Borobudur, getting a buzz out of assorted tropical fruits’ party, and building the ceramic creature.
Summer Program on Halal Industry and the Hybrid Culture of Indonesia
Diponegoro University is proud to present a Summer Program on Halal Industry and the Hybrid Culture of Indonesia. This program is a two weeks intensive program focusing on how everything about halal in Indonesia. The program will be hold by Diponegoro University and Indonesian Islamic University and conducted in two cities: Yogyakarta and Semarang.
The objectives of this course are to improve knowledge and understanding in halal industry in Indonesia, as a country with a majority of Muslim population in the world, by experiencing and learning process designed in a series of activities such as lectures, discussions and visits to several organizations/industries and historical sites. Furthermore, this course offers to the participants a profile of Indonesia as a country that has a high tolerance combined with cultural diversity that have influenced and established a harmony in various aspects of social life and religion. The program will be offered on August next year.
Are you interested in this program?
We offer five scholarship scheme for each programs to international students. Please feel free to contact us.